Wednesday, August 22, 2007

upside down blueberry cupcakes



We brought back quarts of Maine blueberries from vacation. I froze a few of them, and left one for eating. It hardly has a dent in it, so today I made some baked goods out of it. While in Maine, Alex bought a cookbook called The Coutry Art of Blueberry Cookery. I flipped through it last night, picking out a few recipes. The recipe I decided on today was for something called "Blueberry Gems", and my gluten-free interpretation of this was great. A crumby, not too sweet cake on the bottom, and perfect, delicious blueberries on top.
1 c GF flour mix
1/2 t xantham gum
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 c butter, room temp
1/2 c sugar
1 egg, seperated
1/2 t vanilla
1/3 c milk
about a cup and a half of blueberries, pref. wild Maine (these are sold frozen at Wholefoods, they cost the same as regular blueberries, fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 325. Grease 6 ramekins or muffin tins. Line the bottom of each cup with blueberries. Cream the butter and sugar, beat until light and fluffy, then add the egg yolk and vanilla. Whip the egg white until stiff, and in a separate bowl, sift together the flour, xantham gum, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk, and beating after each addition until smooth. fold in egg white, and divide batter over the blueberries into the cups. Bake about 30 minutes. It is suggested this is served with whipped cream, but I think that's totally unnecessary. These are great as they are.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone is baking with blueberries except me, it seems like... Wonder why. I do have a huge box of raspberries in my fridge- I really need to use them. It's between cupcakes and a cheesecake... choices, choices... These do look yummy!

    -sea
    www.bookofyum.com

    ReplyDelete