Tuesday, August 21, 2007

lemon bars

This beautiful picture was taken by my little sister Dana. The lemon bars, which are so tart and delicious, were made by myself and my baby sister Margo. We brought them, along with a cooler full of smoked meats made by my mom and her boyfriend, to a family get together over vacation. I love lemon anything. So does Margo. I made these for her once, then she tried to make them on her own, using a different type of recipe, and she was disappointed. These don't disappoint. Look how beautifully yellow and lemonny they look!

Lemon Bars
This is based on the Joy of Cooking (2007) recipe, however I used less lemon and made some alterations to the crust.

1 c GF flour mix
1/2 c almond (or other nut) meal
1/4 c confectioners sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 t xantham gum
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter
7 eggs
3 c sugar
zest of 1 lemon
juice from 4 lemons
another 1/2 c flour mix

Sift together the cup of flour, almond meal, conf. sugar, salt, and xantham gum together. Cut in the buter, rubbing to form pea-sized balls. Lightly beat 1 egg, add to mixture, stir to combine. Add a little more flour mix if necessary, to thicken dough out. Press onto the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan, and bake at 325 for about half an hour.
Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining eggs and sugar and stir in lemon juice and zest. Sprinkle in the last 1/2 c flour and stir until smooth. Pour over the top of the baked crust, and return to oven, turning down to 300. Bake about 35 mins until set.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:23 PM

    mmm...I want some! Isn't Joy of Cooking awesome; it almost never disappoints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found you in BBD#2. Your blog is great. I'll be watching you ;)

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:59 AM

    Jill, your baby sister Margo is 15 years old now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:06 AM

    I had to add almost a cup of flour to the crust "dough" just to make it stand up- is there some error here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There might be an error, I just made it and omitted the egg in the crust by accident and it turned out fine. I'll remake it soon and see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:04 AM

    Hi jill elise,

    I want to try this. By GF Flour Mix, are you referring YOUR Rice Flour Mix?

    By "There might be an error" do you mean the recipe was typed out wrong, or do you mean that the poster "used fresh ground walnut flour " might have made an error?

    Thanks,
    Tee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tee-
    I use my rice flour mix (well, not MINE, I didn't invent it, but it's the one I use, posted on the side of the page), but use your favorite. I rechecked the recipe, there shouldn't be an error. The error that person had might have been with the walnut flour, I've never used that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eileen6:33 PM

    i followed your recipe and then substituted 1.5 cups of agave nectar for the 3 c. sugar. I did have to add 2 T of cornstarch but still yum.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete