Wednesday, March 27, 2013

coffee sugar pie


Oh hey guys, what's up with you? I've just been hanging out, making pies. 
Remember when I made sugar pie? Aka my favorite pie ever? I do. I made it today but this time for an adventure I made it with coffee. It wasn't a crazy thing to do, it was awesome! This is kind of custardy and puddingy and sweet and coffee-ey and oh so good. 
Serve this with very lightly sweetened whipped cream. 


Coffee sugar pie

1 c each white and brown sugar
4 T cornstarch
a pinch of salt
3 eggs + 1 yolk
1 1/2 c evaporated milk (a 12oz can)

1/2 c strong coffee (I used decaf espresso)
3 T room temp butter
1 T vanilla extract 

Thaw out your pie crust (I use Wholefoods GF pie crusts) and preheat your oven to 350. 
Combine the sugars, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Beat in the eggs, then stir in the milk and coffee until well combined. Turn on the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until bubbles and thickening. Stir in the butter and the vanilla until fully mixed, then pour into the pie crust. Bake 45 minutes to an hour, mine took closer to an hour. It's done when it looks a little set when you jiggle it. Cool most of the way and then EAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment