Friday, April 16, 2010

A delicious sandwich

I love sandwiches. And since we’re moving soon, and I have been running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off (when I’m not collapsed on the couch trying to regroup) I haven’t been cooking much. To tell the truth, Alex has been cooking most of the meals.

Two things have led to me eating sandwiches again, after not bothering for so long (gluten-free bread is so bad, usually, and I’m too lazy to bake it myself lately). First, I got a box of Udi’s bread and bagels from work. That stuff is delicious! Soft and light, edible without being microwaved to death. Second, I tried a box of Sunshine burgers. Even though I eat meat, I do like veggie burgers. Most of them aren’t gluten-free, so I just stopped eating them. We were out of them at work and people were going crazy, so when they came back in stock I bought a box. The ingredients are mostly sunflower seeds and brown rice, but they’re delicious.

When I work late at work and have time to make lunch at home, I’ve been making a sandwich. This is what I put on mine, in case you’re wondering.


A delicious sandwich
1 Udi’s gluten free bagel (or the bread of your choice)
1 T hemp seed butter (this stuff is good for you- full of omegas)
1 piece of lettuce
A few slices of onion
1 slice of tomato
1 Sunshine burger
2 slices of horseradish cheddar
1 T hummus (Bobbi’s is my favorite brand)
1 t mustard if you’re feeling crazy (I like honey mustard best)
Salt and pepper (to taste)

Toast your bagel. It will hold all your sauces better. Spread with hemp butter, then top with lettuce, onion, tomato, and whatever vegetables you feel like using. I would like to use cucumbers and grated carrots, but I don’t have them usually. Pan fry your Sunshine burger, top with cheese, and let melt. Plop the hummus on top, spread the top bagel half with mustard, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Eat! This will fill you up for lunch.

4 comments:

  1. Yummy! I'm seriously craving a sandwich now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this - I didn't know about Udi's, and it looks like Whole Foods carries their products. I really thought I'd said goodbye to bagels forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried Udi's bagels, but I love their breads and pizza crusts! This looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I tried contacting about sponsoring your blog. Please send me a quick email so we can talk about this further.

    Thanks!

    Amy :)

    amydlight@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete