Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Richards famous chocolate cake (and kahlua whipped cream)

My mom's boyfriend makes this fabulous chocolate cake. He hasn't made it gluten free yet, so I did to prove it's possible. This is a good cake. It's not too sweet, quick to whip up, and serves a crowd. You should use some good quality cocoa, but if all you have is something crappy that's fine too. I used Hershey's. It was fine, but could have been better.

Richard's famous chocolate cake

1 3/4 c rice flour mix
1/2 t xanthan gum
3/4 c cocoa powder
3/4 t salt
1 1/4 t baking powder
2 t baking soda
2 c sugar
1 c milk, soured with 1 t lemon juice
1 c strong coffee
2 eggs
1/2 c oil
1 t vanilla (or kahlua)
Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan (I use glass). Mix together the dry ingredients, and then in another bowl mix together the wet ingredients. Fold together, pour into the pan, and bake 45-50 minutes until the cake starts to pull away from the sides a little and a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.


Kahlua whipped cream

1 c heavy cream
1 t kahlua
1 T confectioners sugar

Combine ingredients, and beat to stiff peaks. Serve on top of chocolate cake.

14 comments:

  1. Kahlua whipped cream...what a delicious way to take ordinary chocolate cake to the extreme! this sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carin in NJ3:08 PM

    I made this without the whipped cream and it is awesome. Got my 14-year-old's stamp of approval, that's for sure. Thanks for a great recipe!

    I made two 8" cakes and froze one. Now that I see how good it is, I'm kind of sorry I didn't make the one big cake. It's going to go fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would you suggest to use instead of coffee? I'm not a coffee person at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carin in NJ7:01 PM

    I really couldn't taste the coffee, Bryn. I only tasted CHOCOLATE. To the nth degree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this looks so dark and chocolatey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! Love the rainbow whisk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful and so easy to veganize you won't even have to think about it. Since I just have a household of two I'm gonna have to halve it or eat it every half hour until it's gone!
    Anyway, it won't be hard to halve it if anyone else is interested. For the flour you'd use 7/8C which is just one cup less 2 Tbsp and the cocoa at 3/8C would be 1/2C less 2 Tbsp. Of course, if you're lucky like me you've got all those funky measuring cups so you don't have to figure it out.lol
    Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Maybe I should have cupcakes instead? So many treats, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in LOVE with your whisk!!!! I've never seen a multicolored one like that before!! So cute!! :-) and the cake looks pretty darn delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to try this....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:17 PM

    I could eat that, oh yessss I could! I love a good ol' simple chocolate cake without all the fuss but packed with decadent flavour! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree!! The whisk is awesome. I saw one but it was quite expensive so I didn't get it. I'm making this cake today but using it for the chocolate tres leches cake also on your blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:45 PM

    What is the original recipe for this? I'm not a gluten-free person and I am finding it quite difficult to find xanthan gum.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't need it to be gluten free... would you recommend cake flour or all purpose? & would it still be the same measurement?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok so I made the recipe... but I added a cup of ground coffee... I'm pretty sure this was totally wrong! I realized you probably meant... cup of brewed coffee, am I right?

    ReplyDelete