Monday, February 15, 2010

Gooey cinnamon buns

I got a box of Better Batter flour at work. I've been hearing fabulous things, but I really don't use pre-mixed flour mixes much. This morning I woke up late, and wanted to make cinnamon buns. I figured that was a tough test for a flour blend. Cinnamon buns need to be light and fluffy and easily pulled apart; a tough test for any gluten-free blend.

And let me tell you- the Better Batter flour blend passed. I used recipe for gluten cinnamon buns, switched a few things up, and baked them off. Then I might have eaten four, trying to decide if I liked them.

I'm not sure if this recipe will work with regular flour mix, but I will try it eventually. The only differences between my basic flour mix I use for almost anything and the Better Batter mix is that the BB mix has pectin (gelling agent) and potato flour (which I've never used). I bet you could make this with regular flour mix, with maybe 1 1/2 t xanthan gum and then about 1/3 c teff flour too.

Gooey cinnamon buns
I used Elise's recipe for cinnamon buns, with a few changes.

The buns:
1/4 c warm water (around 110 degrees)
1/3 c sugar
1 packet of yeast (2 1/4 t if you don't use packets)
3/4 c milk
4 T butter, melted
1 egg and a yolk
1 t salt
3 c Better Batter flour

Combine the warm water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl and let proof for 5 minutes. Beat together the milk, butter, eggs, salt and yeast mixture. Stir in the flour mix a cup at a time. The dough will be pretty thick.


For the cinnamon filling:
2/3 c brown sugar
1 T cinnamon
4 T butter, melted

Divide the dough in half. Set one half aside, and roll out the other half on a well floured surface. Don't roll too thin, about 1/3" is good. Half an inch is ok too. Brush the top with butter, and sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly over the top. Roll up, and cut with a sharp knife into 3/4"-1" slices. Repeat with the other dough half.
For the topping:
1/4 c brown sugar
3 T butter
3 T honey
1 T corn syrup

Combine the ingredients in a small bowl, and microwave until butter is melted. Stir to combine, and pour into the bottom of a 13x9 glass pan.

Place the sliced cinnamon rolls on top of the sticky sauce, spaced evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375 while the rolls are rising. Bake 30-40 minutes until topping is bubbling around the sides and the tops are brown. Turn out onto a plate and try not to eat them all at once. Makes about 20.

6 comments:

  1. If these cinnamon rolls were that good, maybe I ought to try this flour. It does run a bit cheaper than Pamela's (my current favorite of the boxed GF flours). Definitely going to get some and try. These look evil. Deliciously evil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright. That's it. Either open a bakery or I'm coming to your house!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually like to use higher protein, healthier flours when I bake, but I will confess - there are some recipes that really work best with white flours and I think this is one of them. These looks absolutely great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too cook GF at our home and enjoy following your blog. I have come across a Better Batter variation that works awesome...I have it posted on our blog if you would like to check it out. It definitely makes the best cookies!
    http://glutenfreegood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first photo is completely brilliant; everything about it is perfect! These look good, and there is nothing like a hot cinnamon roll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! These look absolutely delicious. I think it'd be great to make these for Christmas morning because it makes so many, and we have a ton of people over at our house on Christmas. I can't wait to put this in the book to try!

    -Sylvia
    Antique Jewelry

    ReplyDelete