Saturday, August 4, 2012

Hot sauce from peppers I grew in the garden


Hi guys! Sorry I've been MIA, it's been hot and busy and lots of things have been happening. We tore apart our bathroom, have been sweating a lot since it's so hot, and I got a new job! It should be good. Anyway, now it's summer (deep, hot summer) and I've got plenty of vegetables! I tried to grow Hungarian sweet peppers this year for Alex but accidentally bought Hungarian hot peppers instead. Since we've been picking them, I decided to make hot sauce. 

I also grew cherry bomb peppers in addition to the Hungarian ones. The Hungarian peppers are interesting because they're super hot when they're green (like, tongue and lips numb hot) but when they turn orange, they mellow out. I think this is the opposite of how other peppers work. 

This isn't an exact recipe, but more of a general guide. 

Homemade Hot Sauce

a bunch of peppers (I used 4 cherry bomb and 5 or 6 large Hungarian hot peppers)
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
a pinch of salt
a cup or so of water
1/2 c vinegar
a little handful of honey or brown sugar

Cut up your peppers and scrape out the seeds. You can leave a few if your peppers aren't super hot. Chop up the onion and the garlic. Toss the peppers, onion and garlic into a pot, add a pinch of salt and a coup of water. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. Make sure the fan is on because this smells spicy! Next dump the whole mess into the blender, add vinegar and some sweetener. Blend until smooth, taste, and add more sweetener or vinegar if you need to. Cool and bottle, keep in the fridge. 

1 comment:

  1. Can I use low calorie sweeteners for this one? I was thinking it would create a different taste than desired, I just want to be sure I won't ruin the tiny hint of sweetness. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete