Saturday, December 17, 2011

Our trip to Europe

Remember when we went to Europe? That was over the summer. I promised to write about it, and never did. Oops! Here are some pictures. 
First we went to London. 




Great architecture



We didn't go up on the London Eye
We did a lot of touristy things like take photos in front of everything

We ate gluten free fish and chips at the Mermaid's Tail in Leicester Square. It was ok, but not the best ever. 
Horses may bite


Then we went to Hungary and Slovakia to visit Alexs family. 


As always, I was fed extremely well. Pictured here - gluten free bread, keilbasa and a weird rice and liver and blood sausage (delicious), and little pickles and apricots

We made something called 'Spanish Bird' which is beef pounded thin, filled with salami, bacon, hard boiled egg and pickle, then cooked in the pressure cooker. Deliciously. 
A relative of Alex's made me this giant loaf of gluten free bread. His son has Celiac, so he brought this over for me and I devoured the whole thing. I've never had anyone give me fresh baked, warm bread before. 
This is lecso (lech-o), a mix of tomatoes and onions and peppers and bacon that you eat for breakfast in Slovakia. 
Slovakia
I made friends with this little spot-faced dog (sure didn't think I'd have a spot faced dog of my own soon after we got home!)
We went to an 'adventurepark' where we went on a ski lift up a mountain and then rode a roller coaster and did a ropes course thing
We cooked fish and chips for Alexs parents (using my recipe)
We went to the Budapest Zoo, which is my favorite zoo. I touched a sloth. 
We went to the Vasarcsarnok Market, where there are a million stands of vegetables and meats and things. 
We went to a great flea market in Budapest and I bought some cameras (what else)

We ate a lot of delicious salamis
Then on the way home we stopped in Iceland for 24 hours because a flight was cancelled. This was my favorite part of the trip. We saw a friend of mine from summer camp (really, in Iceland!) and ate a ton and explored and loved it. I want to go back. 



We ate the best lobster soup of my life at this awesome seafood restaurant, the Sea Baron. I obviously didn't eat the bread. 

We had two different kinds of fish and whale, and it was all delicious. 


This is the Sea Baron. He came around offering samples of things like fermented shark (what he's holding there, it was not delicious) and whale blubber (so delicious). 


Iceland was cool. I bought a really expensive, perfect sweater. 


Alex bought a great hat. 
The end! Vacation was great. 

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:08 PM

    Oh my gosh! I want that loaf of bread!! Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:29 PM

    Great photos! I love to travel, but after kids we haven't really been traveling anymore. The food in Slovakia looked really interesting and different.

    My 3-year-old son had severe eczema until he was diagnosed with food allergies a few months back. I have a blog that shares our family’s battles with eczema, allergies, and asthma (yes, lucky guy has that too).

    I think the key is to learn from one another, so the more information out there to the masses, the better. With this in mind I’ve started a blog hop for anyone dealing with allergies, eczema, or asthma, either for themselves or as a caregiver. If you’re interested in joining, please add a comment. I’d love to welcome you to the group. http://itchylittleworld.wordpress.com/blog-hop/


    Thanks.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog via a friend and am drooling over that loaf of bread you pictured above... Is there a recipe I could try? If so I would love it. I have 3 little kiddo's that are missing bread soooo much. It looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:08 AM

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this virtual vacation. Your photos, as always, are so creative and beautiful. My oldest daughter always takes photos of graffiti too when she's on vacation. And dogs, so that's interesting as well.

    My Czech father-in-law is always talking about "letch-oh", too, so I'll have to get him to make us a batch of that sometime. It looked good. We don't like his "hah-loosh-key" though, noodles with cottage cheese. It's like bland baby food.

    Alex in the hat looks so handsome. I see why you married him. So, now we need that expensive sweater photo with you in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah...great photos!!!

    ReplyDelete