Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Gluten-free Banana Bread with bluebs, for Bread Baking Day #2


Banana bread, this time with blueberries.
I love banana bread. I think I buy bananas just so no one can eat them and I can make them into banana bread. I made my normal banana bread, but added blueberries. And sprinkled large grain sugar on top. I'm reposting the recipe, with the blueberry addition. I'm submitting this recipe for the 2nd Bread Baking Day, as a gluten-free submission.


1 1/2 c brown rice flour mix (see sidebar)
1/2 t xantham gum
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2/3 c sugar
1/3 c vegetable shortening (6 T)
1 T lime juice
2 large eggs, beaten
2-3 ripe bananas
3/4 cup blueberries
Large grain sugar, what is that called?

Mix together the flour mix, xantham gum, salt, baking powder and salt in a bowl. In another large bowl, cream the shortening and lime juice with the sugar. Beat in the eggs and bananas, then add the flour mixture, in 3 parts. Add the blueberries last. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan, sprinkle with sugar, bake at 350 for about an hour. Remove from pan when cooled slightly, wait to slice until it's (almost) completely cool.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:25 AM

    Thank you for participating in bbd #02. I think there are a lot of people who are looking for tested gluten-free recipe. I tried once to bake a gluten-free bread for a friend of mine. A disaster! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this bread without the blueberries and xantham gum
    (I didn't have any on hand), used butter for the fat and maple syrup for the sweetener and added coconut, choc chips and pecans and served it to gluten eaters and they all said it was the best banana bread they had ever had

    ReplyDelete