Tuesday, June 12, 2007

home made easy white bread

While playing around on the internet today I came across this recipe. I haven't had much success in making gluten-free bread and most of the recipes I've seen need flours that I don't regularly have. Teff, sorghum, garfava, etc. This recipe only used tapioca starch and rice flour, and other ingredients I already had. Plus it sounded so easy. Next time I won't use as much sugar, and maybe a little less xantham gum (the flavor came through a little tiny bit). I didn't beat it for 3 minutes on high like the recipe said, I mixed it by hand and it came out fine. I copied this from the website: (pictures are my own)

Chickee's Favourite Gluten Free Sandwich (Or French!) Bread
Recipe #234104
This is a great bread with a unique soft texture. It will make (sort of) baguettes that can be made into garlic bread- they are a little flat, but they do the job! This will make one loaf, or two smallish baguettes. Easy to make dairy free too, just use soy milk.
by Chickee
1 1/2 cups rice flour
1 1/2 cups tapioca flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon xantham gum
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  1. Combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
  2. Combine wet ingredients and add to the dry.
  3. Beat in an electric mixer (strong) on high for 3 minutes.
  4. Pour into an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan (or use oiled hands and spatula to shape into 2 thin, tallish baguettes on baking paper). Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
  5. Brush the top with oil (you must do this step! Otherwise the crust is yuk) and bake at 180 C or 350 F for 50-60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment